Re: [css4-color] Grayscale shorthand (with alpha)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 12:57:49 -0700
To: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
Cc: Rudolph Gottesheim <r.gottesheim@loot.at>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com> wrote:
> I'm curious to hear more about why gray is so popular from an artistic / designer perspective.
>
> Is it the "black and white" muted photo affect (in which case a filter might be better)?   I have a few other guesses as well.

"gray" is a wide term here.  Anything between white and black is
covered there, and those two colors are definitely quite common.  I
gave a use-case where near-white and near-black are often used for
background and text to reduce the harshness of pure black-on-white
contrast.  Writing that out requires, currently, repeating yourself.
There's a potential readability win for this case.