Re: [css3-flexbox] handling whitespace between items in a flexbox

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 09:23:55 -0700
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>> Yes.  As far as I can tell, this matches the specced display:table
>> behavior
>
> The specced display:table behavior is somewhat insane and was mostly needed
> for compat with existing content that put <table> inside <pre>. In my
> opinion.
>
>> and I don't see a good reason to differ from that.
>
> Not making whitespace that author clearly marked as significant just
> disappear may or may not be a good reason.  Hard to say....

If you're mixing together flexbox and significant whitespace, you're
probably doing something wrong.  I suspect that this is the correct
behavior for most cases, and I think the fix when you really want the
other behavior is cleaner this way.  (This way, you just wrap the
significant whitespace in a <span>.  The other way, you have to do
markup-level hacks like moving the ">" character from the closing tag
of the previous element around.)

> It's trivial to implement either way, in Gecko.  Just a matter of what we
> want the behavior to be.

I think this is the right behavior, but we discussed last week a
property that would allow controlling this behavior for when it's not
what you actually want.

~TJ