Re: [css4-values] Global Keywords 'normal', 'auto', 'none', 'default'

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 11:32:41 -0700
To: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Cc: www-style CSS <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 2:55 AM, Christoph Päper
<christoph.paeper@crissov.de> wrote:
> Tab Atkins Jr. (2012-04-03 19:11):
>> However, making them global means that they're valid for all properties, which means we can't alter their meaning for a particular property later when we discover that we really want to make a "do something reasonable" value.
>
> I’m not sure about that since the suggestion was to make the UA-dependent by default, which should make it possible to specify a stricter behavior later. Anyway, I do see that this might not work for the same reason vendor-prefixes hardly work.

Not quite.  The reason they don't work is because, when we use them,
we often give them a *very specific* meaning.  Occasionally it's "do
whatever you want by default".  More usually, it's "do something
specific that doesn't have a good name, but that we consider a
reasonable default behavior".

In the second case, you can't change the meaning of the keyword to
that if it already means something like, say, 'initial'.