Re: [css3-animations] display:none, visibility:hidden and animations

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 01:30:44 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
On 9/29/11 5:12 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> I don't believe there are any issues.  This is clearly the correct
> model.  There is no reason whatsoever for 'display' to have an effect
> on what animations run.

That requires UAs to always compute the value of animation properties on
all elements, including in display:none subtrees.

In particular, this requires performing selector matching and so forth
on those elements, which is something UAs commonly optimize out now.

I don't believe that this is desirable.  Unless I'm missing something here?

-Boris