Selectors 4 and Variables

From: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 08:35:20 +0200
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Hi there,

Both Selectors 4 and Variables now use the $ to represent something.
I think this is wrong and will lead to CSS maintainance issues
for web authors since a textual search for $p inside a style sheet will
retrieve not only the definitions/calls to variable p but also the
selectors having for subject a p. If this case will be probably be rare
- but real - in the html world, it could be bigger in the xml one.
I don't want to see that happen.

I really have the gut feeling we should use different char descriptors
here. Long, really long ago, I proposed to use !. I still think this is
the best option, something very visual meaning an emphasis on the
corresponding simple selector.

On another note, there is a typo in the Selectors 4 document, section 2:
"$E > F" does not represent "an E element parent of an E element" but
"an E element parent of an F element"

</Daniel>