Re: [css3-page] float Rules for Pagination into Varying-Width Pages

On 9/20/11 1:01 AM, "Peter Moulder" <peter.moulder@monash.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 12:31:49PM +1000, I wrote:
>
>> The argument in favour of the proposed [constraint-violating implementation]
>> would be speed of implementation (both in the sense of development time and
>> runtime), combined with a hope that authors will do what they can to make it
>> unlikely that the changed rule comes into operation for their document.
>> (Though it isn't entirely within author control if rendering isn't under
>> author control.)
>
> Actually, there is one way to ensure that the changed rule doesn't come into
> operation: don't specify different page widths!  (At least, not within the one
> named page type.)  It's actually not as facetious a comment as it sounds: for
> all I know, it may well be that the main use cases for different page widths
> within a given named page type are where the author does control the rendering
> (or at least can reproduce the rendering environment).

These considerations also come into play for regions of different widths.
Flowing (and reflowing) content through varying widths is one of the prime
use cases for CSS Regions, so figuring this out is important outside of the
css3-page context.

Alan