Re: [css3-page] float Rules for Pagination into Varying-Width Pages

From: Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 18:01:39 +1000
To: www-style@w3.org
On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 12:31:49PM +1000, I wrote:

> The argument in favour of the proposed [constraint-violating implementation]
> would be speed of implementation (both in the sense of development time and
> runtime), combined with a hope that authors will do what they can to make it
> unlikely that the changed rule comes into operation for their document.
> (Though it isn't entirely within author control if rendering isn't under
> author control.)

Actually, there is one way to ensure that the changed rule doesn't come into
operation: don't specify different page widths!  (At least, not within the one
named page type.)  It's actually not as facetious a comment as it sounds: for
all I know, it may well be that the main use cases for different page widths
within a given named page type are where the author does control the rendering
(or at least can reproduce the rendering environment).

pjrm.