Re: when do transitions occur?

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 12:53:14 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
On 9/15/11 4:37 PM, Jennifer Yu wrote:
> Thanks for the responses Tab and David. I didn't realize that shorthands don't have a computed value since getComputedStyle seems to return a valid string for shorthands.

It really depends.  For this simple testcase:

   <!DOCTYPE html>
       alert(getComputedStyle(document.body, "").background);

both Gecko and WebKit alert the empty string.  Gecko does this for all
shorthands, in fact; arguably
http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Style/css.html calls for that behavior.

Of course getComputedStyle also doesn't actually return computed values,
so using it to reason about computed values is pretty pointless....