Re: background-image support for transitions and animations

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Michiel Crefcoeur <mpcref@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> This is the first time I'm mailing the www-style list.
> I was wondering if the background-image property is supposed to be supported
> by css transitions and animations?
> This doesn't seem to be supported, I've tested this on webkit. (chrome 13
> and safari on iPad)
> I'm asking because it's very common to create slideshows of images that fade
> from one into another.
> It can also create a nice hover effect.
> Currently, this is done by placing one image over another and fade the
> opacity.
> This requires two elements.
> Three elements are required when there's also foreground content.
> My question: is this planned standard behavior?

Currently, it shouldn't work - <image> isn't a transitionable type.

Image Values 3 had a definition of how to transition <image>, but I
kicked that to level 4 for now.  Assuming Image Values 3 trucks along
as I expect, you'll see a Working Draft of level 4 sometime early next
year.