Re: [css3-text] comments on text-transform

On 09/12/2011 06:25 PM, John Daggett wrote:

> 3. Case mapping rules
>
> The description of the 'text-transform' property in the CSS3 Text spec
> contains this paragraph:
>
>    The case mapping rules for the character repertoire specified by the
>    Unicode Standard can be found on the Unicode Consortium Web site
>    [UNICODE]. The UA must use the full case mappings for Unicode
>    characters, including any conditional casing rules, as defined in
>    Default Case Algorithm section. If (and only if) the content
>    language of the element is known, then any applicable
>    language-specific rules must be used as well. (See SpecialCasing.txt)
>
> What does 'if (and only if) the content language of the element is
> known' imply?  The rules for inferring language are contained in the
> HTML spec and I think all CSS specs should use that without
> qualifications like this.
>
> I would suggest the edit below.
>
> Current spec wording:
>
>> If (and only if) the content language of the element is known, then
>> any applicable language-specific rules must be used as well. (See
>> SpecialCasing.txt)
>
> New wording:
>
>> User agents must also apply language specific casing rules as
>> defined in Unicode (see SpecialCasing.txt).
>
> The only addition here would be to allow for improvements beyond just
> what's contained in SpecialCasing.txt, based on last week's resolution.

The element's language can be unknown, so that's why there's an "if and
only if the content language of the element is known". As for whether the
content language of the element is known or what that language might be,
the document language has to define that. The point is, the UA shouldn't
apply random language-specific mappings if the element's language isn't
known, and nobody should be interpreting the SpecialCasing requirement
as "the UA must do linguistic detection for untagged content in order to
perform text-transform per spec".

~fantasai