Re: [css] Proposal: making Shorthand Hex Colors even shorter (16 grayscale shades)

From: Shane Stephens <shans@google.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 19:54:48 -0700
To: Marat Tanalin <mtanalin@yandex.ru>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org

> RGB components are represented by 256 values precisely because of
> representational issues - that is, each component is represented by a single
> byte.

Woah. That's a horrible sentence. I blame the fact that I'm sick...

Let me try again:

There's no reason in color theory why RGB components should be confined to
256 values. They're this way because the underlying representation is a
byte; which as it turns out is the same as the underlying representation of
the alpha component.

Cheers,
    -Shane