[css3-animations] Possible spec bug?

From: Lea Verou <leaverou@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 00:02:48 +0300
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Check this out: http://jsfiddle.net/leaverou/jwHva/2/

If you remove border-style: solid; from the div {...} rule, the
animation stops having a visible effect, even though both the
interpolated values contain border-style:solid; (in the shorthand). This
doesn't change even with animation-fill-mode: both; It happens in both
Webkit and Mozilla, so it's probably not a browser bug.

I discussed it with David Baron on IRC and his explanation was this:
dbaron: I think it may be because each property in the animation gets
handled separately
dbaron: on top of the base values
dbaron: and with a 'none' border style the border-width doesn't do anything
leaverou: but I defined border-style in the animation, through the shorthand
dbaron: I doubt the spec is clear on this point, though.
dbaron: yeah
dbaron: my guess (haven't checked yet)
dbaron: is that despite that, the border-width computes to zero in the
animation

I took a look at the spec, but couldn't find anything relevant.
I think it's very confusing behavior and potentially a spec bug, so
thought I'd let you guys know.

--
Lea Verou (http://leaverou.me | @LeaVerou)