Re: New ::first-page pseudo-element

From: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 11:35:19 -0500
Cc: Michael Day <mikeday@yeslogic.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
On Oct 25, 2011, at 8:58 AM, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

> Michael Day wrote:
>
>> We've had user requests for the ability to switch from one column layout
>> on the first page, to two column layout on the second and subsequent pages.
>>
>> To achieve this we have implemented a new ::first-page pseudo-element,
>> similar to the existing ::first-line pseudo-element, that can be used to
>> adjust a subset of CSS properties for an element on the first page that
>> it appears.
>
> This seems like a natural new member in the family of pseudo-elements.
>
>> For example:
>>
>>     div.chapter { columns: 2 }
>>     div.chapter::first-page { columns: 1 }

Why pseudo-elements? Isn't this more like a pseudo-class? The boxes for pages and columns are already generated, so in my mind it's more like you're matching an existing object than creating a new one.

I actually really like the region styling syntax as a way of styling objects differently inside pages, columns or regions. In WebKit I'm wanting to just re-implement pages and columns as special cases of regions, so that everything is just a region.

So the above example could be more like:

@region :nth-page(1)
{
	div.chapter { columns: 2 }
}

Similarly you could have an nth-column pseudo-class as well.

@region :nth-column(3)
{
	div.chapter { background-color: blue; color: white }
}

I just really want to see us have a coherent picture for regions, multi-column and printing. My opinion is that pages and columns should be auto-generated regions created according to the rules of their layout systems, and they should support capabilities like region styling by being addressable via pseudo-element or pseudo-class selectors.

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)