Re: Better Variables through Custom Properties

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 22:36:02 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
On 10/24/11 7:39 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>    data-main-color: #06c;

So what values does data-main-color take?  Is #aaa a color or an an ID
or something else for that property?

> In this simple case, two custom properties are set on the root
> element.  They inherit down to the h1, where they are referenced with
> the data() function.

What does "referenced" mean?  Some sort of macro expansion that just
replaces with literal strings?  Something else?

I do think this could be interesting if we actually define a sane
processing model for it.

-Boris