Re: User Agents Do Not Implement Absolute Length Units, Places Responsive Design in Jeopardy

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 11:28:36 -0700
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Perhaps size detection should be based on the angle subtended at the eye?  That's what we are basing other stuff on.  I think the linear size is much less relevant (and meaningless in some cases).

To do it well, you probably need to know "how much is subtended by the display" .  You probably should not need to know "what is the pixel count in that range" as the equipment designer should have made it that 'normal' sizes like 10pt text are, in fact, readable.

On Oct 5, 2011, at 10:28 , Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> On 10/5/11 1:21 PM, Brian Blakely wrote:
>> The problem isn't resolution detection.  The problem is that we're using
>> pixel resolution to do *size *detection.  Adjusting a layout for
>> small-size displays is currently achieved by defining max-width MQs at
>> about 640 *pixels*, when it really should be 3.5 *inches* (ballpark).
>
> The problem is that to be web-compatible, UAs more or less have to fix 1in == 96px.
>
> And again, just to be clear, are you trying to detect _linear_ size, or _angular_ size of the screen?
>
> -Boris

David Singer