RE: [css regions] Region "balancing"

From: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 19:05:04 +0000
To: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
CC: Vincent Hardy <vhardy@adobe.com>, "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
 From: David Hyatt
 Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2011 1:05 PM

 On Oct 13, 2011, at 2:38 PM, Alan Stearns wrote:

 >> Potentially sure. It can be expensive for columns too.
 >
 > This use case doesn't make sense to me. If I'm laying out two regions
 > per page in a page template and the content runs for ten pages, I do
 > not want all 20 regions to balance. I want pages 1-19 to lay out as
 > much content fits on the page, then have the two columns on page 20
 > balance against each other.

 Right. That's what would happen. As I said, I believe region balancing should
 exist and behave like column balancing, which would also only balance the two
 columns on page 20 (unless you had forced breaks on earlier pages that caused
 them to have less content, in which case you might balance on those pages as
 well).

 In nested pagination contexts (columns on pages, etc.), balancing only occurs
 per-page. It doesn't cross pages.

I believe we've touched on region balancing when we were trying to figure out what's a "page" in context of page/column/region breaks in last f2f.

It totally makes sense to me to allow region balancing (optionally) on last page of flow or on page that ends with a page break.

Same however should apply in interactive scenario where "page" is a div representing current magazine "page", or within "overflow:-o-paged-x". In case of print preview or "overflow:paged" UA knows what's a page and which regions are on same page. However in cumstom-built page view (which could for example involve facing-pages layout), there should be a way to group regions into pages, thus indicating where page breaks can be applied (if supported in that media), and where column balancing would make sense.

I have written up a proposal in July for how to designate regions as pages or columns but apparently it hasn't reached www-style... will forward that in a moment.

Alex