Re: [css regions] Region "balancing"

From: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 15:04:58 -0500
Cc: Vincent Hardy <vhardy@adobe.com>, "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
On Oct 13, 2011, at 2:38 PM, Alan Stearns wrote:

>> Potentially sure. It can be expensive for columns too.
>
> This use case doesn't make sense to me. If I'm laying out two regions per
> page in a page template and the content runs for ten pages, I do not want
> all 20 regions to balance. I want pages 1-19 to lay out as much content fits
> on the page, then have the two columns on page 20 balance against each
> other.

Right. That's what would happen. As I said, I believe region balancing should exist and behave like column balancing, which would also only balance the two columns on page 20 (unless you had forced breaks on earlier pages that caused them to have less content, in which case you might balance on those pages as well).

In nested pagination contexts (columns on pages, etc.), balancing only occurs per-page. It doesn't cross pages.