[css3-regions] Does flow-from or content win?

From: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 15:04:31 -0700
To: "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
The regions spec currently states:

"If the 'content' property is defined on a region, it has no effect on the
region's visual formatting."

I'm currently only able to test this in WebKit using content: url, as the
rest of the css3-content values that work on elements that flow-from applies
to aren't implemented. But so far WebKit isn't following this portion of the
spec. If I define this on a div:

  content: url(someImage.png);
  -webkit-flow-from: someFlow;

Then that element's content is replaced with the image and consumes no flow
content.

I'm thinking this may be preferable to what the spec states, as there are
values in css3-content that I might want to work with regions. Perhaps I'd
choose to insert an image in this manner. Or I might selectively set
'content: none' or 'content: inhibit' on an element in the region chain,
then bring it back with 'content: normal'.

What's the motivation for making flow-from trump content? Could we remove
that text?

Thanks,

Alan