Re: [css-device-adapt][cssom] Missing VIEWPORT_RULE definition

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 18:17:21 -0700
To: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Cc: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, www-style@w3.org
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 6:08 PM, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com> wrote:
>> Vendors are encouraged to use reasonably unique values outside this
>> range so that they do not clash with extensions from other vendors.
>> For example, the first value for Mozilla could be 0x08EC0001 and
>> 0x09E8A001 could be the first for Opera.
> Where the heck do those numbers come from?!?

As Bjoern pointed out, 0x09E8A000 is a reasonable hex-range 1337
version of "OPERA".  Not sure what relation 0x08EX0000 has to Moz,
though.  (in-flight edit: apparently it's intended to look like

> Wouldn't it make more sense to have a registry of vendor-specific constants on
> the wiki page?

That doesn't seem necessary.  It also implies that vendors (including
the many small browser and non-browser impls) need to coordinate on
their number groups, while choosing an arbitrary 5-hexit prefix gives
you a very reasonable chance of avoiding collisions.  (Assuming you
choose the prefix randomly, we should be able to support several
million impls before collisions become likely.)