Re: User Agents Do Not Implement Absolute Length Units, Places Responsive Design in Jeopardy

From: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 20:46:16 -0700
To: "robert@ocallahan.org" <robert@ocallahan.org>
CC: Brian Blakely <anewpage.media@gmail.com>, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, Alex Danilo <alex@abbra.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On 10/6/11 8:17 PM, "Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
I donít see evidence of the guarantee that one CSS inch is one physical inch when printing.

By "we" I mean "CSS as correctly implemented". There's certainly no reason why those other browsers couldn't do so; there are no compatibility hazards here AFAIK.

I donít think this is relevant to the current discussion

I believe it is relevant. People keep saying that the current CSS definitions make "in" etc useless. I don't agree.

I don't think my test result is relevant. How the definition of CSS inch is useful for printing is relevant.

Alan