RE: [css3-images] simplifying radial gradients

Brad is advocating removing functionality "to simplify".  It might be useful and productive if he amended his proposal such that it *retained* the existing functionality while simplifying.

I believe Alan is requesting some additional functionality to allow more flavors of linear / radial marrying in a way that is flexible across aspect ratios of the box, but I must confess I haven't looked at his examples yet to see if there are existing "almost what he wants, and good enough for CSS3 (in WG opinion)" ways to cover the use cases he has in mind.

IMO...

The current feature set is both rich enough and not too rich.  Other than  Brad's "let's gut it" approach to radial-gradient and Alan's "I'm chiming in because someone raised the Last Call flag" the community has been relatively silent on CSS Gradients (in Images) for a 2-3 weeks now.  This is after several months of having discussion on Gradients *every week*.  Whether this indicates silent assent, ignoring the topic for other priorities, or passive aggression is anyone's guess.

Tab rejected Brad's proposal, after discussing it in depth, and elaborated on his conclusions.
[Here: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Sep/0562.html ]

[Initially here: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Aug/0389.html ]
I've also disagreed with Brad's proposal because I believe it represents a step backwards in functionality -- relative to the initial addition of gradients to the images module as well as the prefixed implementation capabilities seen prior to the CSS proposals.  Some of the capabilities removed via this proposal are NOT achievable via CSS, even with the help of SVG.

Regarding...
> It might
> help if more WG members who are generally familiar with the radial
> gradients spec can read and consider my in-list comments, and comment
> back on them

I agree that such commentary would be useful.  I don't agree that we should hold LC for it.

Regarding Alan's proposal...

My gut reaction is that this is a great topic to consider for CSS4, but it's beyond the scope of what the WG was trying to achieve for CSS3 gradients.  My gut's been wrong before though, especially around lunch time.