Re: [css3-images] simplifying radial gradients

On 7/10/2011 2:50 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:

> On Oct 5, 2011, at 9:19 AM, Chris Lilley wrote:
>
>> Hello Brad,
>>
>> On todays call, the CSS WG considered whether to move css3 images
>> to Last Call, and noted that you have a proposal relating to radial
>> gradients.
>>
>> We would prefer that you either resolve this issue within two
>> weeks, or alternatively agree that we can move forward and re-raise
>> the issue during Last Call if you are not satisfied.
>>
>> Are those options acceptable to you?
>
> I would love to resolve within two weeks. Unfortunately, when the
> main person I need to resolve it with has said "I've decided to
> reject [Brad's] proposal for simplifying radial gradients", and
> doesn't suggest any alternatives to the problem (or acknowledge the
> problem), it makes it tough to try to work out a resolution that is
> satisfactory to all (or even good enough to most). I don't feel it
> was nearly as widely reviewed as linear-gradient was, and so far the
> only ones to consider my complaints (and say anything on the list)
> were Tab (the author of this part of the spec) and Brian (an
> implementor who probably feels that the large effort he contributed
> to implement radial-gradient in IE10 should not be wasted). It might
> help if more WG members who are generally familiar with the radial
> gradients spec can read and consider my in-list comments, and comment
> back on them (agree that they are valid points, or tell me that I am
> off my rocker).

I agree with many aspects of your proposal. I have done many test with
using background-size and background-position with radial-gradient. I
also agree with some of the comments that Brian has added (ei. repeating
halves of radial-gradient).

Others concerns I have is that the way the spec stands now, using both
linear-gradient and radial-gradient together are not easy.

http://css-class.com/test/css/3/gradients/linear-radial-gradients-combined.htm

When magic corners work, this technique will only work with boxes of the
same height and width.

I have many offline test with gradients but many need to be deleted. I
will drop my desire for premultiplied gradients (yes i said it) so I can
contribute to something good.

--
Alan Gresley
http://css-3d.org/