Re: [css-regions] The region-overflow property

From: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 17:42:21 -0700
To: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
CC: "robert@ocallahan.org" <robert@ocallahan.org>, "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
On 10/4/11 5:13 PM, "David Hyatt" <hyatt@apple.com> wrote:

On Oct 4, 2011, at 7:04 PM, Alan Stearns wrote:

Re: [css-regions] The region-overflow property
I don’t understand what it would mean to break and honor either overflow:scroll or overflow:visible.

I have it implemented in WebKit, so I can just show you.

Thanks for the pictures.

It looks to me like the only difference between “overflow:visible region-break:break” and “overflow:visible region-break:auto” is the gap at the end of the region. I can’t think of a reason I’d want that gap in either the visible or the scroll cases. The gap is a logical extrapolation for the property value combinations, but I don’t think it’s useful to combine them.

My use case for ‘region-break:break’ is to intentionally display an abstract of an article with a control for displaying more (which would add more regions to fit the content). If I wanted to handle an unintentional overflow situation with either visible or scroll, I think I’d always want to avoid a pagination break (because that would draw attention to my “mistake”).

Alan