RE: [css3-animations] display:none, visibility:hidden and animations

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 00:47:45 +0000
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

[Boris Zbarsky:]

> > I don't believe there are any issues.  This is clearly the correct
> > model.  There is no reason whatsoever for 'display' to have an effect
> > on what animations run.
>
> That requires UAs to always compute the value of animation properties on
> all elements, including in display:none subtrees.
>
> In particular, this requires performing selector matching and so forth on
> those elements, which is something UAs commonly optimize out now.
>
> I don't believe that this is desirable.  Unless I'm missing something
> here?
>
> -Boris
I would agree that from an implementation standpoint, this is not optimal.
We should start with what behavior makes sense for authors, though. What do
you want display:none to do to an element's animation, or one running on a child
of that element ? Should it pause the animation ? Stop it ? Same question for
visibility:hidden.