[css3-text] reorder values for text-decoration shorthand?

From: Oli Studholme <w3-style@boblet.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 04:36:08 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org
Hi all,

I was looking at the definition of text-decoration and think the
ordering of the values could be improved. Currently itís:
  Value: <text-decoration-line> || <text-decoration-color> ||
<text-decoration-style> || blink
Developers are very familiar with the border shorthand, and some use
border-bottom to fake underline (for more control). The border
shorthand is:
  Value: <border-width> || <border-style> || <color>

For browsers itís irrelevant as ď||Ē means ďany orderĒ, but for
consistency (and for people who havenít read css3-syntax or heard of
BNF, & think the order may be important) itíd be nice for the specís
text-decoration value to swap text-decoration-color and
text-decoration-style, giving a new value of:
  Value: <text-decoration-line> || <text-decoration-style> ||
<text-decoration-color> || blink

HTH

peace - oli studholme
@boblet

PS it would be nice to add a link to an easy-to-understand article
explaining the Backus Naur Form the specs use to .propdef tables,
perhaps as a ? icon in the top right, or an aside in the right margin.
In searching for what || meant I couldnít find it in the articles
linked to from http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/current-work#contribute
(which was completely the wrong place for those links to be btw ó this
info should be in http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/learning), or in the
Wikipedia article about BNF.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/Overview.html#text-decoration0
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/#the-border-shorthands