Re: [css3-text] reorder values for text-decoration shorthand?

On 09/30/2011 09:36 PM, Oli Studholme wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was looking at the definition of text-decoration and think the
> ordering of the values could be improved. Currently it’s:
>    Value:<text-decoration-line>  ||<text-decoration-color>  ||
> <text-decoration-style>  || blink
> Developers are very familiar with the border shorthand, and some use
> border-bottom to fake underline (for more control). The border
> shorthand is:
>    Value:<border-width>  ||<border-style>  ||<color>
>
> For browsers it’s irrelevant as “||” means “any order”, but for
> consistency (and for people who haven’t read css3-syntax or heard of
> BNF,&  think the order may be important) it’d be nice for the spec’s
> text-decoration value to swap text-decoration-color and
> text-decoration-style, giving a new value of:
>    Value:<text-decoration-line>  ||<text-decoration-style>  ||
> <text-decoration-color>  || blink

Sure, why not. Makes no difference to me. :) Done.

> PS it would be nice to add a link to an easy-to-understand article
> explaining the Backus Naur Form the specs use to .propdef tables,
> perhaps as a ? icon in the top right, or an aside in the right margin.
> In searching for what || meant I couldn’t find it in the articles
> linked to from http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/current-work#contribute
> (which was completely the wrong place for those links to be btw — this
> info should be in http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/learning), or in the
> Wikipedia article about BNF.

It's linked from the Values section up near the introduction. I suppose
we could add question marks or something to the module template; would
you like to mock something up for consideration?

~fantasai