Re: [css3-background] should specify color space for box-shadow blurring

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 18:31:19 -0700
To: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Saturday 2011-10-01 00:51 +0000, Brian Manthos wrote:
> My understanding is that the blurring is all about varying the
> *opacity* of the shadow -- nothing about changing the color of the
> shadow.
>
> If color space is involved in varying opacity, then the opacity
> property would have the same concern.

Yeah, you're right; given that it's an opacity blur there's no
sensible way to put it in another color space without changing the
color space used for compositing.  Doing compositing in linearRGB
might be a sensible option to offer (SVG offers it), but it's not
connected to the blurring in box-shadow.

-David