Re: [CSS21] Can column boxs span multiple columns?

On 11/17/2011 01:57 AM, Simon Sapin wrote:
> Le 16/11/2011 20:04, fantasai a écrit :
>> Huh, that seems pretty wrong. I'd expect the <col> element to just generate
>> multiple column boxes.
>
> After some experiments with backgrounds and borders, it seems to be what browsers do. (Small detail: Gecko adds borders to
> each boxes generated by the same <col>, but webkit does not draw the border in-between them.)
>
> It is also consistent with what HTM4 says about the width attribute. I’ll implement it this way in WeasyPrint.
>
> I’d write up proposed changes to the spec to make this clearer and more explicit, but would they be useful?

Yep!

> The errata says it "records known errors". While some clarification would be good, this probably is not an error in the spec. Is anything like
> CSS 2.2 planned or is it that some day, CSS3 will eventually have enough modules in REC and make CSS 2.1 obsolete?

Both. We'll eventually fold in the errata and publish a "2nd Edition" of CSS2.1.
and probably at some point we'll have enough CSS3 modules that we'll obsolete
the spec in favor of some combination of CSS3+ modules, just like we obsoleted
CSS1 by pointing at the CSS2.1 spec.

~fantasai