Re: [CSS21] Can column boxs span multiple columns?

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 10:57:42 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
Le 16/11/2011 20:04, fantasai a écrit :
> Huh, that seems pretty wrong. I'd expect the <col> element to just
> generate
> multiple column boxes.

After some experiments with backgrounds and borders, it seems to be what
browsers do. (Small detail: Gecko adds borders to each boxes generated
by the same <col>, but webkit does not draw the border in-between them.)

It is also consistent with what HTM4 says about the width attribute.
I’ll implement it this way in WeasyPrint.

I’d write up proposed changes to the spec to make this clearer and more
explicit, but would they be useful? The errata says it "records known
errors". While some clarification would be good, this probably is not an
error in the spec. Is anything like CSS 2.2 planned or is it that some
day, CSS3 will eventually have enough modules in REC and make CSS 2.1
obsolete?

Regards,
--
Simon Sapin