Re: [css3-lists] Should some properties not inherit into markers?

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 12:07:19PM +0100, Øyvind Stenhaug wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 01:38:06 +0100, Peter Moulder
> <peter.moulder@monash.edu> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 09:44:19AM -0800, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> >
> >>So, I propose adding "::marker { text-transform: initial; }" to the
> >>Lists 3 UA stylesheet.  Thoughts?
> >
> >That approach won't have any effect on 'content' use.  A use case where
> >this might matter is for page headings, when one might grab a section
> >heading and its number for an <h2> element and uppercase it for purposes
> >of the page heading (while the h2 use displays it in mixed case).
>
> You mean e.g. for
>
> h2:before {
>     content: counter(subsection, lower-alpha);
>     [...]
>
> ?
>
> None of the browsers I tested currently suppress text-transform in
> that case. Authors can of course accomplish this by adding the
> appropriate declaration themselves.

The case I was trying to convey is where the 'content' value has a mix of
text that should be transformed and a counter value that shouldn't be
transformed.

In this case, authors can't accomplish this by adding the appropriate
declaration, because there's no way to apply different text-transform
values to different components of the 'content' value.

The question, then, is how often one wants counter values to be
transformed with the rest of the content value, and how often one wants
counter values remain untransformed when applying text-transform to the
rest of the content value.

If there are no significant situations where one wants counters to remain
untransformed when the (non-empty) rest of 'content' is transformed, then
nothing needs to be done.

If there are significant cases where one wants counter values to be
unaffected by text-transform while other parts of 'content' are affected,
and there are no significant cases where one wants both to be
transformed, then the relatively simple approach I suggested in the
message should be considered.

Otherwise, I think another proposal someone made recently was for
counter() and counters() functions to allow specifying a
<'text-transform'>.  A more costly but more powerful approach would be
to provide a text-transform() function for 'content'.

In trying to think of an example where one might want to apply
text-transform to 'content', I suggested the case where part of
the used text for 'content' comes from the source document, such as
with css3-gcpm's named string facility.  Named strings are used for
page headings, and it's fairly common to want to apply
text-transform:uppercase to a page heading.  Whether it's common
to want to leave counter values in that page heading untransformed,
I don't know.

(If it's not common, then great, there's nothing to do: I'm not making a
feature request, I'm just checking whether the mixed-content case is a
problem we want to address, and giving one possible resolution depending
on what the needs are.)

pjrm.