Re: [css3-lists] Should some properties not inherit into markers?

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 01:38:06 +0100, Peter Moulder
<peter.moulder@monash.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 09:44:19AM -0800, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>
>> So, I propose adding "::marker { text-transform: initial; }" to the
>> Lists 3 UA stylesheet.  Thoughts?
>
> That approach won't have any effect on 'content' use.  A use case where
> this might matter is for page headings, when one might grab a section
> heading and its number for an <h2> element and uppercase it for purposes
> of the page heading (while the h2 use displays it in mixed case).

You mean e.g. for

h2:before {
     content: counter(subsection, lower-alpha);
     [...]

?

None of the browsers I tested currently suppress text-transform in that
case. Authors can of course accomplish this by adding the appropriate
declaration themselves. (This is not possible for list markers in CSS 2.1
since ::marker doesn't exist there).

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA