Re: [CSS21] 17.5.2.1 Fixed table layout and percentages

Le Mer 16 novembre 2011 12:02, Simon Sapin a écrit :
> Le 16/11/2011 19:07, Simon Sapin a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> In section 17.5.2.1 Fixed table layout:
>
> Also,
>
> Are table-column elements allowed to be anywhere in the table?
> (Especially after rows.)

No, table-column elements are not allowed to be anywhere in HTML table.
Their declaration should follow optional <caption> and precede optional
<thead>:

<!ELEMENT TABLE - -
     (CAPTION?, (COL*|COLGROUP*), THEAD?, TFOOT?, TBODY+)>

> I didn’t see anything forbidding it.

HTML fordibs placing column elements anywhere in the table.
CSS too IIRC.

> If that is
> the case, this is wrong:
>
>      In this manner, the user agent can begin to lay out the table once
> the entire first row has been received.
>
> Additionally: I assume that the number of columns in the table is the
> greater of the number defined by table-column elements (with their span
> attribute) and table-cell elements in the first row (with their colspan
> attribute). Maybe this should be written explicitly?

For the purpose of section 17.5.2.1, I believe the number of columns in a
table is defined by the number of table-cell elements in first row and not
by the number of declared table-column elements.

 <col>
is a 2 column table even though only 1 <col> element is declared.

If there are more column elements than table-cell elements in first row,
then resulting layout is undefined IMO.

regards, Gérard
--
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011