Re: [selectors4] [css3-writing-modes] localization requests

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 17:36:08 -0800 (PST)
To: Markus Mielke <mmielke@microsoft.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Markus Mielke wrote:

> 3) Apply logical properties for margin, border, padding, width/height,
> float, text-align, vertical-align, top, right, bottom, left, etc.

These have been the subject of heated debates in the CSS group,
stretching back years if you start to go through the archives, most
recently last year in discussions of vertical text layout (see minutes
for Oslo F2F).

The key problem here is that to do this you need to somehow layer new
logical xxx-start, xxx-end, xxx-begin, xxx-end properties onto the
existing physical properties.  The resulting property explosion makes
for a rather confusing authoring model.  I realize in some instances
logical properties "make sense" but I think the resulting plethora of
properties makes the CSS authoring model much more confusing.

If you have a specific proposal in mind we can discuss it but I would
ask that you read through past discussions so that we don't rehash those.

Regards,

John Daggett