RE: [css3-images] closest side radial gradients

From: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 20:57:12 +0000
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
>>> What I think we should consider is that closest-side should not make the gradient smaller.
>>> The way this would work is that 'closest-side' would not consider the side(s) that you've
>>> offset the gradient towards when determining which is closer, and the gradient would
>>> get clipped instead.
>>
>> I wish the image would load for me. :(
>>
>> Nonetheless, as you've described it, the proposed behavior wouldn't be "closest-side" anymore.  It would be "closest-side-except-this-one-here"
>Right.

So we agree on this part.

What phrase/keyword would you replace "closest-side" with, so that it has an absolutely clear yet succinct meaning.

>>> not consider the side(s) that you've
>>> offset the gradient towards when determining which is closer

Example:
div {
	width: 100px;
	height: 200px;
	radial-gradient(10px 10px, brad-modified-closest-side, red, blue);
}

Do you exclude both the top and the left from "consideration" since you've moved toward both?

I'm still trying to understand how this proposal is at all an improvement, but I'm trying to give it a fair hearing.