Re: [css3-images] closest side radial gradients

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 13:17:45 -0700
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
On Nov 2, 2011, at 11:56 AM, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com> wrote:

> Brad:
>> What I think we should consider is that closest-side should not make the gradient smaller.
>> The way this would work is that 'closest-side' would not consider the side(s) that you've
>> offset the gradient towards when determining which is closer, and the gradient would
>> get clipped instead.
>
> I wish the image would load for me. :(
>
> Nonetheless, as you've described it, the proposed behavior wouldn't be "closest-side" anymore.  It would be "closest-side-except-this-one-here"

Right.

> which I find confusing at best.

I find the current behavior of shrinking the gradient as you move it off center unintuitive. It even threw Tab off a couple days ago, when (in person, not on the list) he suggested that 'top left, cover circle' would result in a quarter-radial gradient that went from one side to the other, as a quarter circle (I corrected him). With my proposed change, it would do so, and avoid the degenerative effect that requires a special explanation in the spec.

Let's see if this attachment fares any better.

image.png
(image/png attachment: image.png)