Re: Transitioning top and bottom properties.

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 12:53:49 -0700
Cc: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>, Maarten Billemont <lhunath@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>

On May 31, 2011, at 10:46 AM, Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com> wrote:

> I would appreciate seeing use cases with width, height, etc with auto.

Here's one. I have an element with a child div that is meant to be revealed upon hovering. That child contains one or more paragraphs of unkown length. I want the child div to have overflow:hidden, and to grow from 'height:0' to 'height:auto' in 2 seconds, so that as it grows it reveals more content until it is all revealed in exactly 2 seconds. The effect would be somewhat similar to opening a folder in iOS, but with more variation in height.

Here's variation on that: Same as the first, but instead of paragraphs it is a couple of variable-width links inside a 'width:auto; display:inline-block, height.2em' span with some padding, borders, background, etc. And I want to transition from width:0 to width:auto.

Further, I want the above to be absolutely positioned, and to also slide to the right from wherever it exists within the line, with a transition from 'left:auto; margin-left:0;' to 'left:100%; margin-left:1em;'.