[css3-backgrounds][css3-images] Layers in shorthand (was Re: [css3-images] exactly 2 adjacent colors stops)

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 22:19:46 +1000
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
CC: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Philippe Wittenbergh <ph.wittenbergh@l-c-n.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 26/05/2011 10:17 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:

> On May 25, 2011, at 1:07 PM, Brian Manthos<brianman@microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>

>> The<bg-position>  information is required if you want to
>> specify<bg-size>  in your shorthand value.
>
> I remember that battle. I thought authors should be able to do it the
> way Alan expected to. But I lost the argument. Sorry Alan.

No need to apologize Brad. I presume that battle was during my one year
hiatus from www-style. I was to resub to the list in late 2009 to
discover that my proposal to include a forward slash in a background
shorthand to allow for a fallback background-color [1] was to be used
instead as the means to include background-size in a background shorthand.

Thank you Brian for helping me with my CSS. Now reloaded with two
background shorthands.

http://css-class.com/test/css/3/backgrounds/background-slash-shorthand.htm

One for IE9 and another for IE10 which has prefixed (-ms-) gradients.
You will get the concept of the demo and the affect that I after by
resizing the width of the viewport. It somewhat like an animation affect
without using CSS3 animation. Just wondering, is IE10 going to support
CSS3 animation?

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Apr/0116.html

--
Alan Gresley