Re: [css3-images] What does image-resolution apply to?

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 10:15 PM, fantasai
<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

>>> Are SVG lengths alway unitless numbers? If not, I would expect an
>>
>> SVG measured in inches to be pixelated if given a low enough resolution
>> (which might occasionally be a useful effect).  Forgive my ignorance of
>> SVG, please.
>>
>> No, they can be given as actual lengths, like "1in".  I'm not
>> immediately certain how that would interact with resolution changes,
>> though.  I suspect that's far enough down the unspecified road that
>> it's up to the UA right now.
>
> IIRC, untransformed SVG units are defined to be equivalent to 'px',
> and that's how they relate to other units.
>
> Pixellating SVG via 'image-resolution' makes absoluely no sense at all.
> Changing the SVG-unit to device-pixel ratio when determining the SVG's
> intrinsic size, however, might.

The problem with that is you either have to also scale the other
physical units equally, so a width specified as "5in" is still 480px,
or you have to live with the fact that the ratio of physical units to
px will change.

Easier to just say that changing the resolution of a vector image has no effect.