Re: [css3-images] Changing the angles in gradients

From: Eric A. Meyer <eric@meyerweb.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 18:33:08 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
>>  On 05/17/2011 12:57 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>>>  So, we have three choices:
>>>  A) Keep the angles as they are, with 0deg=East and 90deg=North
>>>  B) Switch to screen-coord polar, with 0deg=East and 90deg=South
>>>  C) Switch to bearing angles, with 0deg=North and 90deg=East

    As an author, I vote for C.  It's consistent with other angles
such as transformation rotation, where a 90deg rotation turns an
element's top from "North" to "East"-- and frankly, most of us are
familiar with bearing angles but don't remember polar angles from
school at all.  Blame GPS devices, blame a conspiracy of
cartographers if you will, but I think way more people will take
naturally to C than A.

At 14:52 -0700 5/17/11, Brad Kemper wrote:

>Also, authors are using gradients now, with prefixes. Changing the
>meaning of such an important part of the syntax at this point, to
>mean something opposite, would mean breaking Web sites, with little
>hope that they could be fixed by authors in a way that still
>supported multiple versions of multiple browsers.

    That's why we have prefixes, as far as I'm concerned-- to let
implementors fix bugs and keep pace with changing specs.  And, by
extension, it allows specs the flexibility to change if said changes
are for the better.

Eric A. Meyer (eric@meyerweb.com)     http://meyerweb.com/