Re: [css3-images] exactly 2 adjacent colors stops

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 15:05:41 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org
On 05/17/2011 11:20 AM, Brian Manthos wrote:
> Chrome is likely following the "-webkit-background-size" pattern that they had in older builds where it wasn't part of the "background" property because it wasn't unprefixed yet.  I think Firefox behaved the same way in older builds (but my memory is a little fuzzy on that).
>
> BTW, this is one of the challenges of shorthands combined with vendor prefixing.  It's easy to distract and confuse web authors from the "real work" by having to chase down the root cause of such things.  I don't have a solution in mind (yet), just a problem observation.

The problem here could have been solved by having the 'background' shorthand
reset 'background-size' but not be able to specify any of its values there.
That way the resetting behavior would be consistent with the spec and with
unprefixed properties, and the feature wouldn't be exposed unprefixed. The
syntax would just be slightly more constrained than under unprefixed
implementations.

~fantasai