Re: Gradients and background-repeat (Was: Re: Automatic spec annotations)

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 12:59:36 -0700
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>

Brad Kemper

On May 11, 2011, at 11:07 AM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:

> As I've said before, I think background-repeat should only ever affect axis-aligned, tiled backgrounds (i.e. repeating a rectangular image on an x-y grid). Because of this, it's not suitable for repeating gradients, which may be linear at an angle, or radial.

Is it still axis aligned if the entire element is rotated via 'transform'? Assuming the answer is "yes", and that you don't want to disable background-repeat for that, then what is wrong with having 'background-rotate' (or 'background-transform')? The background still has a pair of axi to align to, and the 'auto' value on it would take care of moving the rotation from the individual tile and into the whole background. Then all the gradients ARE aligned to an axis.