Re: [css3-writing-modes] referring to Unicode

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 00:18:46 -0700 (PDT)
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org, WWW International <www-international@w3.org>, Addison Phillips <addison@lab126.com>
fantasai wrote:

> The EastAsianWidth.txt file is referenced from UAX11. UAX11 gives
> the explanation of what it means, how to use it, etc. So I think
> that referring to UAX11 is the correct thing to do here. I'll let
> Addison correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> I really don't think it's at all ambiguous what the spec means by
> "do this with characters classified as fullwidth (F), see UAX11".
> You think it's ambiguous?

It's not ambiguous, it just buries the underlying reference.  Unless immediately
obvious, we should be defining CSS properties with respect to specific
properties in the Unicode database and consistently referring to the location
of that database, including other references that explain the handling of
those properties in more detail.

For example:

    The East_Asian_Width property of the Unicode database [UAX44] can
    be used to ... (see [UAX11] for more background on this property).

Regards,

John Daggett