Re: [css3-animations] Times are listed as unitless

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 17:21:11 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
On 5/1/11 5:04 PM, Eric A. Meyer wrote:
> Well, don't leave us hanging-- where, exactly? I searched my mail
> archives but only came up with mentions of a resolution but no
> explanation of the reasoning behind the resolution.

See thread starting
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Nov/0043.html for
example (referenced pretty recently too) has reasoning.

> Which I'd really like to see, because if we're going to violate long-standing author
> expectations around '0'

Where are these expectations coming from?
http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2-19980512/syndata.html#q20 (CSS 2.0,
back in 1998) says that times can't be unitless.  Compare it to
http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2-19980512/syndata.html#length-units
which says that 0 lengths can be unitless.

Or is the expectation coming from the fact that most web authors never
used any times, only lengths, which don't have the same syntax, and now
they're starting to use times and being confused?

-Boris