Re: [css3-images] conical-gradient()?

From: Stephen Hay <haymail@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 16:58:02 +0100
To: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
Cc: Lea Verou <leaverou@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org
> I think it would be better to call this an angle gradient instead of
> conical.

In Photoshop it is indeed often referred to as angle gradient (and
this is technically correct), although most designers I know
understand the term "conical". I actually think conical best describes
what the gradient does visually.

> Conical gradients are just a special case of a radial gradient where the
> midpoint of start and ending circle is different.

> This seems like an edge case. Neither SVG or Illustrator implement such a
> construct so it must not be that common.

I would call that a hasty generalization. Photoshop *does* implement
it, so making a similar generalization one could argue that since
there are more Photoshop users, it is very common.

> There has been a discussion on adding mesh gradients to SVG which would
> allow you to emulate a angle gradient.

This is indeed how they are emulated in Illustrator.

Regards,
Stephen Hay