RE: [CSS21] 9.5 (Floats) - comments on Working Draft

On Friday, January 07, 2011 12:53 PM Anton Prowse wrote:

> Issue 2: 9.5 goes on to say:
>
>    # The border box of a table, a block-level replaced element, or an
>    # element in the normal flow that establishes a new block formatting
>    # context (such as an element with 'overflow' other than 'visible')
>    # must not overlap any floats in the same block formatting context as
>    # the element itself.
>
> But is it talking about the border of the table box or the table wrapper
> box?  I think it's talking about the table wrapper box, even though
> 'border' isn't one of the properties whose computed value is used on the
> table wrapper box when specified on the table element.
>
> This means that the spec needs changing, along the lines of the following:
>
> s/The border box of a table,/The border area of the table wrapper box of
> a table element, or of/
>
> Note that Issue 212[2] concerns whether the table wrapper box
> establishes a block formatting context.  If it does then it ought to be
> trivial to simplify this sentence further, yet doing so is made
> difficult by the spec's recurrent element vs box sloppiness.
>

> [1] http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css2.1#issue-185

> [2] http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css2.1/last-call-2010#issue-212

Thank you for your feedback. The CSSWG resolved not to make these changes to the CSS 2.1 specification[1]. We will be reevaluating this issue for errata and future versions of CSS.

Please respond before 18 March, 2011 if you do not accept the current resolution.

[1] http://w3.org/TR/CSS