Re: guidance on vendor prefixes (was Re: cursor: zoom-in and zoom-out)

From: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 12:29:38 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 01:00:14 +0100, Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>

> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 15:30, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
> wrote:
>> On 03/01/2011 03:15 PM, Tantek Çelik wrote:
>>> There is very little "official" guidance on vendor prefixes - you're
>>> not
>>> alone.
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/css-2010/#experimental
> Thanks for that - good to have a reference for "experimental
> implementations" in addition to "vendor specific extensions".
> Updated/expanded:
> http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/vendor-prefixes

Thanks Tantek,

After reading through
<http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/vendor-prefixes#cursor-zoom-in-zoom-out> and
discussing this internally I've gone ahead and removed the -o- prefix from
the zoom-in and zoom-out values. I'm not sure yet when this will be
released in the wild, but it's safe to say that the prefixed versions will
be short-lived enough to not matter.

It's my strictly personal opinion that it would be good to consider
prefixing more on a case-by-case basis. There must be many more features
which are in practice stable but are still prefixed just because of the
uncertainty around the situation.

Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer
Opera Software