RE: Possible text-shadow enhancements

From: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 01:27:49 +0000
To: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>, Jordan OSETE <jordan.osete@gmail.com>
> From: www-style-request@w3.org [mailto:www-style-request@w3.org] On
> Behalf Of Simon Fraser
> The problem with spread radius, which we already discussed in the context
> of box-shadow, is whether it makes sharp corners rounded. This is especially
> problematic with border-radius, because you have a potential discontinuity
> between zero border radius causing spread to retain sharp corners, and a any
> small, but non-zero radius resulting in in a shadow with obviously rounded
> corners.
>
> I think people will be more sensitive to this in the context of text, and that
> text stroke gives a more predictable visual result.

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#text-shadow

These two drafts agree: "<shadow> is the same as defined for the ‘box-shadow’ property except that the ‘inset’ keyword is not allowed."

Simon, are you suggesting that the current text-shadow spec should be reconsidered *or* that text-outline should stay alive because of the distinction? (Or both?)

- Brian