Re: Possible text-shadow enhancements

From: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 16:48:41 -0800
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: Jordan OSETE <jordan.osete@gmail.com>
On Feb 27, 2011, at 1:19 PM, Jordan OSETE wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> This is actually a follow-up to an old proposal written a few years ago:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Oct/0266.html
>
> In short, the proposal was to improve text-shadow in two simple ways:
> - add an optional spread radius, to replace text-outline, and allow a
> wider range of effects

The problem with spread radius, which we already discussed in the context of box-shadow, is whether it makes sharp corners rounded. This is especially problematic with border-radius, because you have a potential discontinuity between zero border radius causing spread to retain sharp corners, and a any small, but non-zero radius resulting in in a shadow with obviously rounded corners.

I think people will be more sensitive to this in the context of text, and that text stroke gives a more predictable visual result.

Simon