Re: SVG Fonts inside of OpenType fonts? [Cross-post from www-font@w3.org]

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 22:58:41 +1200
To: Erik van Blokland <letterror@gmail.com>
Cc: Erik Dahlstrom <ed@opera.com>, Tab Atkins <tabatkins@google.com>, list.adam@twardoch.com, "www-font@w3.org" <www-font@w3.org>, www-svg@w3.org, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, "public-webfonts-wg@w3.org" <public-webfonts-wg@w3.org>, OpenType List <opentype-migration-list@indx.co.uk>
For those features, you're asking for much more than just a script
associated with the font. You're requesting a large new API to interact with
the browser's layout engine. That is a lot more work than just supporting
script in the font. There are also severe performance and security issues
with calling into scripts during layout. Let's be a bit more focused here
please :-).

By the way, have you looked at SIL's Graphite engine? We plan to support it
in Firefox in the near future, at least on an experimental basis. It enables
a few of those features you mentioned.

Rob
--
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in
us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our