RE: [css3-writing-modes] The writing-mode property: existing implementations and naming

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 00:08:48 +0000
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

[Koji Ishii:]

> Sylvain, so can I understand the issue is that the 'writing-mode' property
> being a real (non-shorthand) property, rather than whether it affects the
> 'direction' property or not?

I find the name confusing given its definition. I don't see why a property
that defines block progression direction should be called writing-mode. Even
more so if a writing mode is only partly defined by block progression.

If we do include a writing-mode shorthand then I would of course expect it
to set those properties that define a writing mode per the spec.

> If my understanding is correct, I can propose that we rename the 'writing-
> mode' property to something else (like 'block-progression'), and then make
> the 'writing-mode' a shorthand for the property and the 'text-orientation'
> property.
>
> What the 'writing-mode' property is a shorthand for changes from 2003 CR.
> Do you see any compatible issues with this approach?

There is a fair amount of content that uses IE's implementation but since
the property's values are different I would expect such content to render
as it does now in all browsers. Still, this is rather confusing for those
authors who care (many of whom may have used writing-mode in IE) so it may
be another case where we deprecate the existing property.

Last, SVG 1.1 defines a writing-mode property. How does css3-writing-modes
intend to deal with it ?